Monday, February 3, 2014

Where To Find Elusive Ancestors

There are a number of strategies to approach the issue, if you're trying to find evasive ancestors. Yet, among the surest & most satisfactory manners would be to set out a plan of action. My plan of action might not function as the greatest ever but it works for me personally.

Should you be missing info on an ancestor, even if it's an ancestor from a couple hundred years back, begin with inquiring individuals who might learn about that man. My cousin Harry was born in the 1920s and is the earliest surviving motherly relative that I am able to inquire. My aunt Martha is the earliest surviving paternal relative I could inquire. She was born in 1920.

I might begin with one of these relatives and inquire if what they understood regarding the individual. This is a side note that I have to mention. Harry is more inclined than Martha is to offer details. Harry adores a great storyline. Martha is a solid proponent of simply telling narratives that fit to the family history.

I use these source examples as examples only. The ancestor I'm seeking is Janet Reid, produced 1821. Her nephew, my 2x great grandfather had a falling out with all the family so any storylines he might have did not drip down through the household.

Another area to search is at other family trees to find out whether the evasive ancestor is lurking in the far reaches of somebody else's family tree. For my ancestor, Janet, this gave me a little info. I did discover her recorded as the sister of my 3x great grandfather. Out of this, I discovered her childbirth year.

Well, really I discovered hints of when she was born. One family tree recorded her as being born about 1821 and another recorded her as being born in 1823. Additionally, I found that she was never married. And sFrhe perished after 1920.

Her parents were recorded together with her brothers and sisters.

Which brings me to another area to search. Census records are wonderful resources of info. You can begin to see your family construction. It may be time consuming to plow through census records but these are an excellent way to obtain info.

Side note, names tend to be unstable within their spelling. Janet, Jannet, Jenny, and Jennet, Jane could all function as the same man.

The relationships are listed by the census. John is the head of the family, Annie is his wife. Annie M. is recorded as his daughter and George and James are his sons. Jennet and Anne are his aunts.

Looking back a little further, I came across Jannet Reid, 58, residing with Daniel 79, 60, Ann Reid, Reid, and Mary Reid, 17 in the 1881 Canadian census. No relationships were recorded in this census. It appears that Ann and Jannet are the exact same sisters who have been residing ten years afterwards with their nephew John. These girls also had a brother Daniel. I made the supposition they were residing using their brother.

I may have quit here, met with having learned that Janet had a typical spinster life. She lived to be about 100 years old. Truly I did quit here and this was the primary lesson about following evasive relatives. I leaped into a decision about single women in the 19th century. Subsequently I read her dad's will.

Wills are among the perfect spots to discover in-depth info. Her daddy amended his will in April of 1865. He was making arrangements to leave land to his son, Daniel. Janet would happen to be in her 40s in the time.

Kid? This opened up an entirely new line of inquiry.

The storyline continues. The purpose is the fact that beginning with any storylines you are able to assemble concerning yesteryear. Whenever they do exist they might not exist or be authentic but the storylines help. Look at family trees. Subsequently learn more about the census records. Wills are a gold mine. Look at wills. Maintain notes. Travel records are another source of great tips.

In the 1920 US Census, a 100-year old Jeanette Reid is still residing together with her 53-year old daughter Annie and Annie husband and four of these kids.


No comments:

Post a Comment